Thursday, May 6, 2010

Jackal calling


I'm working on a jackal-themed Storytelling class, and doing some research - boy do I love youtube! I am fascinated by the strange high howling sound that these animals produce. Naturally it takes practice to make a jackal call, so I'll be wandering around town working on that today......
Along with sounds, games, songs and rhymes, I will be telling a story from India called The Jackal King, also known as The Blue Jackal. This tale has a strong - even harsh - moral lesson about the importance of loyalty and truthfulness, but it's also about what happens when an opportunistic jackal falls into a vat of blue dye.

This story has many variants, but its origin is to be found in the Panchatantra, a collection of animal tales originally written in Sanskrit and now lost.

No comments: